Views

Saturday 16 April 2011

Even unto death

I went to church today, at the request of my Parish Priest, to set up for Palm Sunday Mass tomorrow. A wedding had taken place immediately before and so, as opposed to the rich smell of Vatican incense hitting my nose, I was greeted by the smell of an aromatic diffusion of cheap cologne and ladies' perfume - I do, however, digress.

The tabernacle and the altar were covered in glorious white and flowers had been arranged at the end of each bench and on the sanctuary too, all those that were leaving church as I came in looked just as immaculate, radiating beauty. After each one had left, I began to strip the altar of its white decoration and replace it with a deep scarlet red, a colour which is not too often used within the church. I began to think as I moved around exchanging every pure linen for one with symbolic stains, I thought more deeply about the true meaning that is behind what the colour represents. Blood.

Two of the occasions on which red is used in the churches liturgical year are on Good Friday, and on the feasts of martyred saints. Yet I fail to see red used often in our churches, which calls to mind a sombre thought. How many of us would be prepared to die for our faith? How many committed Christians would be ready to lay down their lives for their Lord and Saviour? I'm not too sure how I would react if a gun were held to my face by a man who was asking me to confess my religious preferences. When the sacrament of confirmation is conferred, red is used again - poignant considering confirmed candidates become 'Soldiers of Christ'. Yet, even as a soldier of Christ myself, I wonder if the Holy Spirit's gift of Courage was truly sealed in within me and, if it was, would it be strong enough to overcome such great persecution.


(St.Tarcisius who died defending the Blessed Sacrament)

It is indeed very difficult to call to mind the bloodiness that can occur for those who wish to truly live out their faith, and quite rightly so. The west is more tolerant than other parts of the world where people are ruled over by communist regimes or Muslim dictatorships, and where their freedom of religious practise is tragically suppressed. It can therefore be difficult to imagine how we, as a civilised people, could be put under such pressure to declare, or indeed to withhold, our faith. But we who often feel unworthy, who often feel as though we do not have the courage to stand up for what is right, for what is true; should draw encouragement from the apostles. Even Jesus' 'best friend' Peter deserted him when Christ needed him most, when he himself was battered, bruised and bloodied for generations of people he had not even met. But after the resurrection, we hear of Peter imprisoned for confessing his faith in Christ Jesus, an imprisonment that ultimately led to his own death, hanging upside down on a cross claiming he was not worthy to die like Christ. How beautiful, and yet this is a prime example of our merciful Lord giving us as many chances as it takes on earth to try and try again until us poor sinners finally get it right.

And so, the next time you are in church and you see the place draped in red, pray to God that you may be prepared to shed your blood to show your love for Him who died the bloodiest, most brutal and unmerciful death of which only criminals were worthy.

May God Bless us all,

James

No comments:

Post a Comment